Grass & Weed Photos

I'm just fumbling around here learning about grass and weeds. Can anyone tell what these are?
This one grows good in shade here (S Calif)
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1622/53cp.jpg
This one grows good in both shade and sun
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5138/by4m.jpg
Any idea what the name of this weed is? It shows up in the same spots every year, even after pulling it up by the roots
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4153/8wfu.jpg
Thanks, gang!
Bob
Guv Bob said:

anyone tell what these

every year, even

Can't help with the grasses, but the last one is spurge. If it keeps coming up in the same places, it's because there are thousands of seeds ready to sprout at any opportunity.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7445.html
You can try starting here to ID your grass:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/grass_preview.html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

spots

Pat, thanks for info about spurge! Glad also to learn that it is poisonous. Most plants with white sap seem to be poisonous to some degree. I once got white sap from a candelabra cactus in my eye and within a few minutes I started having trouble breathing. Ended up at the ER, but all they could do was keep flooding eyes with water. $500 later everything was back to normal.

Bob F wrote:

While I doubt the generalisation that white sap equals poison is always true, like many domesticated plants the lettuce has been bred from an ancestor that was much less tasty than the modern version. The wild lettuce is quite bitter which you get with some modern cultivars under some conditions, such as when they get old and going to seed. There are reports that it is not entirely benign, see:
http://thetanglednest.com/2009/06/soporific-salads-and-lettuce-opium/
A great many plants evolved nasty tasting and irritating components to deter would-be feeders. Some we have bred to be less pungent in taste others we have allowed to keep their strong flavour and now call them herbs and spices.
David

the

Duheeee...
Guv Bob wrote:

Ooglawallup....

Your "candelabra cactus" was undoubtedly a very large spurge (Euphorbia) or a very close relative. (Cacti do not have milky latex!).
While not all plants with latex are toxic to humans, enough are that it's always a good sign to be cautious.
Kay

poisonous.

once got white sap

started having trouble

flooding eyes with water.

(Euphorbia) or a very close

it's always a good sign

Thanks a lot for the info Kay! That's exactly what it is! Neighbors have all said it was candelabra that I never checked. It was about 10-ft in height 20 years ago and is still growing. Now 17 to 18 ft. Trunk is 15-in diameter near the base.
Simliar to this one...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8168/7320995094_81983c6d8e_z.jpg
From wikipedia...
Euphorbia canariensis, commonly known as the Canary Island spurge or the Hercules club,[5] is a succulent member of the family Euphorbiaceae and genus Euphorbia[1] endemic to the Canary Islands.[6]
The Canary Island spurge is a small tree, growing to between 3 and 4 metres (9.8 and 13 ft) high. It is made up of fleshy quadrangular or pentagonal trunks that look like cacti. The leaves grow in clusters of three or four and have inward-turning spines 5 to 14 millimetres (0.20 to 0.55 in) long. It produces reddish-green flowers.[6] It is hardy to -2 °C (28 °F).[7]
*** The latex, which contains diterpenes[8] is considered highly toxic.
On 7/23/2013 6:17 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote: Great web site and resource. Thanks JB

Guv Bob wrote:

I was gonna make a smart-alec remark that the first 2 are grass and the last was a weed, and HTH. But they *might* be sedges instead of grass and then wouldn't I be embarrassed. (I'm pretty sure they are annual grasses)
The last one is prostrate spurge, Euphorbia supina or Euphorbia maculata.
Bob
Any idea what the name of this weed is? It shows up in the same spots every year, even after pulling it up by the roots
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4153/8wfu.jpg *********************************************** This one looks to me like it could be wireweed: polygonum aviculare but I can't see from your pic, if it has any tiny flowers on not.
wrote in message

Belated thanks for all the help!