Grass Seed: How Long Good For, And Storage Conditions Question ?

Hello:
Just noticed a bag of Scotts grass seed that I guess I had in my garage (unheated) for two winters now, that I had forgotten about.
Under the house garage, but still getys pretty cold in there; live outside of Boston.
Think the seed would still be good if I used it this spring ?
Irrespective of the above, how long do seeds stay rerasonably potent ? Better if stored cold, cool, or warm ?
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

Put 20 or so on a wet, folded paper towel, then fold again to cover the seed. Keep it damp and room temp and see how many sprout in the time frame it gives for germination on the package.
-

the germination may fall off a bit as it gets older.

My answer is the same as it was when you asked the question on rec.home.repair. ;-) Use the seed at a higher than normal application rate. Watch for germination. If it doesn't germinate well, buy new seed.
Seed doesn't store well.
It stores best in cool, dry conditions.
Kyle Boatright wrote:

Yes, cool and dry are key. The typical garage is not a good place. I keep mine in a covered plastic garbage can in the basement. Inside I place one of the damp/dry dessicant canisters.
Another important factor is that many of the quality grass seeds are now endophyte enhanced. The endophyte has a shelf life of about 6 months, after which it goes south fast. So, the seed will still germinate, but you lose the endophyte benefit.
I agree with Tony on finding out germination rate. Then, you can do some simple math to find out how much more to seed with.