Granules around house to Keep Mice out ?

Well guys, I hate to say it but it is going to be that time of year again. And I live in rural Iowa and the fields are about to be harvested. This means that the field mice will need to find somewhere else to live. A co-worker of mine said that he shakes some kind of granules around the foundation of his house and it is suppose to keep the mice from coming in. Has anyone heard of this type of deterent or killer ? If so, what is it called ? Or if you have a "special recipe " please let me in on it . As I would like to get the heads up on them before winter. Thanks, Iowa883
GEMPLERS.COM has several different kinds in different quantities .