giant purple hostas?

I was driving by a house with a deeply shaded front lawn and saw a variety of hostas/ferns/etc. One plant stood out- it looked like a giant hosta but with more rounded deep purple leaves. Could anyone suggest what this plant is?
TIA
I bet it was a Canna.

Guglielmo Portas said:

One of the colorful cultivars of Bergenia cordifolia or B. purpurascens?
<
http://depts.washington.edu/wpa/image/berg.jpg
<http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/plant%20portraits%20b/bergenia%20purpurascens%20h elen%20dillion%20form%20(winter).html>
--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

Thanks for the guesses. What the heck- I drove back over there and knocked on the door. It was ligularia.
Something like this:
http://www.ljono.no/Bilete/Ligularia_The_Rocket_THL.jpg