Getting rid of Crab Grass

Page 2 of 2

okay... Sorry for the delay in posting back but I had to wait for my lawn to start to grow back so that you can see my problem. I took a really good picture so that you can see what the "crab grass" (or whatever it is) looks like. Could someone please diagnose the problem and let me know the treatment to use?
http://www.moneytime.ca/grass-4.jpg
Thanks, Jim

I have no idea, but since I have it also, I'll see what folks tell you.
alt.home.lawn.garden:

Well, it isn't crabgrass. I get a lot of that in my yard. I've wondered exactly what it is, but never took a sample to the nursery to get a definitive answer.
Don't let it go to seed. It pulls pretty easily, and it doesn't come back.
If you don't want to pull it, kill it with a grassy weed killer. 1. Let it get taller than the good grass. 2. Wrap a cloth TIGHTLY around a garden rake. 3. Dip the cloth in full-strength weed killer (I think I used RoundUp). Make sure it doesn't drip. 4. Wipe the cloth back and forth over the taller grass you want to kill.
Warnings: RoundUp kills almost everything. Don't get it where you don't want it. Don't let the weed killer drip.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Thank you.
alt.home.lawn.garden:

You're welcome. Let us know how things work out.
By the way, wear rubber gloves.
Wait a week or two, then apply the weed killer again. It's not possible to get it on evenly or heavily enough with this technique to kill everything in the first pass. Heck, RoundUp doesn't even work that well when applied according to the label -- it always takes several applications.
You can use a similar technique in flower beds with a cotton glove. This one works better because you can work your fingers better than you can work a rake. Be sure to wear a rubber glove under the cotton glove.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Steve said:

Why?
Again, why? Are you made of plant material?
And, why slop it on with a rag tied on a rake? A paintbrush would be much more efficient than a rag tied to a rake. How are you going to keep a soaked rag from dripping all over everything surrounding the plant in question? That's one of the most rediculous methods of applying a herbicide that I've ever heard of.
Also, why go right to a non-selective herbicide in the first place? A better avenue would be to identify the weed, and find a selective herbicide that will knock it back. Glyphosate is *so* over-used by homeowners, when 2,4-D would be a better choice.
--

Eggs

How can there be self-help "groups"?