Getting rid of bamboo

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of bamboo, permanently, without having to pull it up. I live in east-central Georgia and have quite a bit in my back yard. We just purchased the house a couple of months ago and would like to be able to have use of all the back yard. I've been told if you cut the stalk it will just grow right back. I've read that bamboo is a grass, and thus believe the advise about it growing back after cutting it down. Are there any chemicals, or sprays, that would kill just the bamboo, and not the rest of the grass?

TIA, Hawkeye65

Reply to
The Addison's

Here, read this:

A method I've used to control/kill noxious weed trees such as maple and sumac is to quickly cut through the small tree or sapling then, within seconds, paint the cut surface with a concentrate of glyphosate straight from the bottle. I was also wondering if a basal bark application of glyphosate or trichlopyr would work.

Tom

Reply to
- Tom -

Tom, would that approach work on Poison Ivy vines? I have quite a few vines that are easily 3 inches in diameter climbing the trees here.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the bamboo thread as I am taking notes on that as well.

Thanks

Reply to
Tim

I've killed poison ivy with Roundup, you just need to use it at 3-5% concentration. May need to apply it twice. And for vines climbing up the tree, just cut them with an axe, then when new growth/leaves emerge in seveal weeks, spray them.

Never tried to kill bamboo, but would think either Roundup or one of the other vegetation/brush killers would be effective.

Reply to
trader4

I think it would work. I've never let poison ivy get very far off the ground before I killed it. I had it amongst a rose bush once. The two plants' roots were entangled. I cut the stem back to four or five leaves then painted the top and bottom sides of the leaves with glyphosate from the bottle. It withered and died. Be careful with other vegetation killers when working within the desirable plant's root zone. Keep it on the cut area or on the weed's leaves.

Tom

Reply to
- Tom -

Thanks for the reply. I recently built on this property as it was and mostly still is, a wooded lot. Alot of old growth trees but unfortunately, it was so thick that they all grew tall and thin. Still majestic though and loving it. Thanks again.

Reply to
Tim