Gardening in an appartment

I live in an appartent - 10th floor, which is in Toronto, Canada. I am thinking of growing three vegetables in the Flower Pots. I don't know anything about growing. I have one flower pot, but that's about it :) Right now,I want to grow tomatoes, green chilies, and mint. I am hoping that I can grow them without using any chemical.

I did some research about growing aboved mentioned vegetables, however, most of the advice is about growing them in a garden. Do I have worry about same issues - like danger of frost, temperature, acid soil with a pH, diseases, and rotating crops?

I learned that there are varities of tomatoes, geen chilies, and I am not sure which one will be good for growing in an appartment. Also, I like the mint avilable in indian market in Toronto, it has very nice smell, does anyone know what's called, I would like grow that mint.

From what I understand tomatoes and other plants need rich soil. I read

that some people used left over tea-bags, water which they used to clean vegtable & rice for enriching soil. Can I use egg shell, leafs for it, beside tea-bags, rice water? I am not sure I can get a organic fertilizer in Toronto. According to one site tomatoes are members of the poisonous nightshade family, I don't suppose their leaf can be used for soil rich?

Ps: My appartment windows are east & west, will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
michelebargeman

First, don't expect things to go well, after all this is new to you. It's great that you're trying, though. Tomatoes and peppers love the sun. Too little sun and you'll get taller plants in the end because they're reaching for the sun. So, put a strong stake in the pot to tie them to as they grow. Give the stems a little room to thicken. Perhaps you can put the pots on a dolly and move them from east to west to get more sun. I'd choose a grape or cherry tomato variety. Choose a chile variety based on heat and flavor. Some of the small ones are cute when they're ripe but who's gonna eat them? Too hot! and no perceptible flavor. I like red ripe jalapenos or cayennes for sauces. Question: do bees or other pollinating critters fly to the tenth floor of any building? I don't know about mints or organic fertilizers. I'd use a water soluble fertilizer like Miracle Gro. Don't worry about diseases or pH, etc. Just don't drown the plants.

Tom

Reply to
- Tom -

tomatoes require a lot of heat. Nighttime temps over 65 is beneficial for a good crop. There is a method for growing them upside down. The gardening TV guru says to fertilize them only once at planting time. Hammacher Schlemmer sells a kit for growing them upside down.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin