Gardening for a Living?

I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source of income for the winter? Any advice would be appreciated.
Chris F. said:

How small?

Are the nurseries all closed during the winter, there? If not, what do they sell?
--

Eggs

Did Noah keep his bees in archives?

It sounds like you should stick with an activity you are more familiar with.

I have some experience with bedding plants (petunias, gazania, etc). I used to make a living selling on Ebay but the market (for collectibles at least) has taken a nose dive, so now I'm desperate to find another source of income.
Chris F. said:

Here's a novel idea... how about applying for a real job? ;)
--

Eggs

Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

A great idea, for someone who is able to travel and be dependable for a certain # of hours work each day - which I'm not. That's why I'm looking for something I can do from home.
Chris F. said:

You still didn't answer my first reply to you.
--
Eggs

-If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.
Steveo said:

Maybe that's why they want a small greenhouse. ;)
--

Eggs

Can you be a closet claustrophobic?
Steveo said:

--

Eggs

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

1. The cost of utilities to heat a greenhouse in the winter can eat up any anticipated profit. 2. Plants naturally go dormant in the winter. It takes both heat & light to fool them. Do you know how?? 3. The market for live plants in the off season is very low. 4. Better think twice about that idea.
KC
KC said:

That depends on the size of the structure and it's materials, what is used to heat it, and the plants themselves. I kept tropicals in my 8x12 GH, keeping it 60F at night and 80F in the daytime, and it cost me about $20 a month. Were I to be selling out of the GH, that would hardly be eating up my profits.
Do you actually have a GH, or are you just making things up (or guessing) as you go along?

As a generalization, that's bullshit. Some don't even "know" winter. They just die. There are also *plenty* of plants that survive just fine as long as the temps don't go below freezing for any length of time. It's quite easy (and cheap) to keep a GH above freezing.

They apparently have a basic understanding of plants, I'd say they most likely do. Your generalization of plants would lead one to believe that you do not.

Source? I buy plants year round, as do a lot of people I know.

Nah. I'd say decide exactly what kind of plants they'd like to grow, then figure out if they can afford to build/maintain a structure that will support those plants. "Giving in" so early in the planning stages would only be succumbing to bad advice (such as yours).
Typical googlegroper...
--

Eggs

APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.