Gardening for a Living?

I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source of income for the winter? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Chris F.

How small?

Are the nurseries all closed during the winter, there? If not, what do they sell?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

It sounds like you should stick with an activity you are more familiar with.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I have some experience with bedding plants (petunias, gazania, etc). I used to make a living selling on Ebay but the market (for collectibles at least) has taken a nose dive, so now I'm desperate to find another source of income.

Reply to
Chris F.

Here's a novel idea... how about applying for a real job? ;)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

  1. The cost of utilities to heat a greenhouse in the winter can eat up any anticipated profit.
  2. Plants naturally go dormant in the winter. It takes both heat & light to fool them. Do you know how??
  3. The market for live plants in the off season is very low.
  4. Better think twice about that idea.

KC

Reply to
KC

A great idea, for someone who is able to travel and be dependable for a certain # of hours work each day - which I'm not. That's why I'm looking for something I can do from home.

Reply to
Chris F.

You still didn't answer my first reply to you.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Maybe that's why they want a small greenhouse. ;)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

May be time for a paper route instead..

Reply to
Steveo

[...]
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

That depends on the size of the structure and it's materials, what is used to heat it, and the plants themselves. I kept tropicals in my 8x12 GH, keeping it 60F at night and 80F in the daytime, and it cost me about $20 a month. Were I to be selling out of the GH, that would hardly be eating up my profits.

Do you actually have a GH, or are you just making things up (or guessing) as you go along?

As a generalization, that's bullshit. Some don't even "know" winter. They just die. There are also *plenty* of plants that survive just fine as long as the temps don't go below freezing for any length of time. It's quite easy (and cheap) to keep a GH above freezing.

They apparently have a basic understanding of plants, I'd say they most likely do. Your generalization of plants would lead one to believe that you do not.

Source? I buy plants year round, as do a lot of people I know.

Nah. I'd say decide exactly what kind of plants they'd like to grow, then figure out if they can afford to build/maintain a structure that will support those plants. "Giving in" so early in the planning stages would only be succumbing to bad advice (such as yours).

Typical googlegroper...

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly