garden/ farm terms

I just started my first garden Corn, onions , beans .What do the terms lay off , onion set as opposed to seed I s there a slag book of terms I could read Thanks.
Gary wrote:

Onion sets are already started plants or small onions as opposed to seeds. As far as a book I would like to know myself. I do remember the Farmers Almanac was kept forever. There wasn't a whole lot around to read except it and the Sears & Roebuck Catalog and the rare Newspaper, when they made it to town. I wished we had kept a few of them.

We used the Sears catalog in the outhouse, same with the occasional newspaper.

Onions are a 2 year plant - so if you plant seeds this year at the end of the growing season you will have small onions. If you harvest them and hang them to dry you will have onion sets to plant the next year. Some people also start seeds in boxes and when they are scallion size they transplant them.

We use the Cooperative Extension. They have pamphlets on almost every aspect of gardening. But the 3 things you mentioned are pretty straight forward and the directions on the packages should be all you need.
Try "Crockett's Victory Garden" published by Little Brown & Company