from a dead looking stick

Hard to remember. Sorry about that.

Thanks aga

Reply to
Hettie®

J. Davidson

I'm no rose expert by any means, but those are roses, and beautiful ones at that. You may have saved an heirloom rose that escaped from an old garden. It could be "wild", but it looks cultivated at one time, and the truly wild ones I'm familiar with that at least used to grow (they spray now so much) in the ditches in northern Illinois are not double like that and don't climb.

There is a rose ID forum at gardenweb.com. It is a free site, you have to pay at Dave's Garden, but a lot of the latter's info is available to a non-subscriber, as we saw with your hibiscus.

Maybe you could try at gardenweb with your photos, their popup/down/whatever ads will drive you nuts, but the site is worth it. I guess you need a browser like Firefox with some add-ons to stop them cold.

Anyway, their hit ratio with positive id's isn't so great, but there are many more rosarians there than here, and some are truly expert. So many, many roses look so similar, and they even vary from grower to grower of supposedly the same exact rose.

Anyway, ya done a good thing to save that beautiful rose. Actually, you saved several different kinds there. And it didn't die from transplant shock, looks like it is happy there. I'm trying to save old roses, too, but I haven't dug any out of ditches yet, and you have to be careful if it is somebody's property to get permission, guess I don't have to tell you that. I'm going the cutting route to try to propagate more of what I see I think is worth saving or get more of them spread around eventually in case they die out or some property owner doesn't want them and digs them out and throws them on the trash heap.

Right now I'm very anxious about some cuttings I'm trying to root under lights I set up of a rose the exact same color as your photo looks, but the bloom is different, double though. Is yours a once-bloomer or a repeater or do you know yet?

Reply to
Hettie®

you are most welcome.

now onto resolving the next mystery.

call these wild roses. they were growing along side the highway and every year just as they were about to bloom the hwy maintenance people who were watching via their secret satellite would send a crew out to mow them down. I got tired of that so I dug some of them up and moved them to several different locations here on the Farm. there are white ones, pink ones and red ones. the URL exhibits a pink one utilizing the chain link of the dog pen as a means to climb.

I call them wild roses but have no idea what they'd be called by one who is schooled properly in the science of horticulture.

Jim in central NC

Reply to
Jim

DG has the largest, online, plant database. The ID forum is second to none. And, what's wrong with $25US per year? There's so much more to that site, that non-subscribers don't see. Anyone serious about knowing their plant's identification and growing information would surely find it a sound investment.

I use Firefox, and won't go anywhere near that popup-hell. Besides, a lot of gardenweb members also post at DG. IMO, the quality of information found at DG FAR outweighs the quality of information at gardenweb.

I've seen VERY few identification requests at DG go unsolved. Usually, they are the rarest of the rare plants that don't get identified, there.

[rest snipped]

Jim, I've no idea what your rose is, sorry. I detest roses. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly