Flowering Cherry Help

We have a Flowering Cherry that is about 25 years old, it is quite a magnificent specimen...the trunk is about 20 inches in diameter. We enjoy the shade that this tree produces and it has a great deal of sentimental value to us. For the last two years the tree seems to be doing poorly. Quite a few of the branches have died and the leaf growth seems to be getting sparse. When I look down on the backyard from an upper window I am surprised that I can see through the leaves, there was a time when they were so thick that they hid everything under the tree. We have two other Cherries that seem to be in the same condition....Several years back, (maybe 8 years or so) all the Cherries in the neighborhood had a disease....there seemed to be a white fungus that covered most of the bark. We scrubbed it off with a brush and water as best we could. Some of the Cherries in the area died at the time that this fungus was affecting the trees. Ours did survive and seemed to be okay...they did have wonderful cherry blossoms this spring. We are located in New England, and have had very harsh winters for the past two years...
Sorry to go on so long about this, but I would hate to loose these trees, and I'm hoping that there is something that I can do to restore them to good health...
Best regards,
Penny
Penny -- there's no better source of information for a problem like this than your local extension service, especially if they have a Master Gardener program. -- Regards --