flourescent lights

Might not be the best place to ask, but....I have a double 48" flourescent light fixture. Both bulbs stopped working at the same time. I tried replacements knowing that that likely wasn't going to work & it didn't. What else can be wrong?
tia
tony wrote:

Replace the ballast.
GFRfan wrote:

Here's a bit 'o science.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp.htm

Unless it's an expensive fixture, it will probably be more economical to replace the entire fixture rather than just replacing the ballast.
Take the ballast out, take it to Lowe's or Home Depot, and see if they have a replacement, and check the price. They have most all of the more common ones. Some are pretty cheap.
As another chap said, you can also check the price of the entire fixture, but that mgiht be a bit more work.
--James--
RoyDMercer wrote:

true except for the amount of labor involved.
Check the ground to the fixture. Fluorescent light fixtures require a ground.

Some fluorescent fixtures do require a ground, however if the ground is not present the fixture will still work. It will just take longer to start. Lack of a ground will not cause the fixture to stop working altogether.