Floodinig vs. Starving

Frequently, my gas engine dies and I have trouble restarting. The problem is, I am not sure if the engine is starved for gas or is flooded. Obviously I don't want to choke the engine if it is flooded, but on the other hand if it is starved for gas it needs to be choked. How do I determine which is the case? This is in reference to 4 cycle engine, but I think the same holds true for a 2 cycle engine.

Reply to
Robert Reznikoff

Why don't you get it fixed so it doesn't die?

To answer your question though - It depends on why it died. If it died because the load was too great then it should not need to be choked. If it died from fuel starvation then it should be choked.

When in doubt try starting without choking first. Then apply choke only if not successful. It is difficult to clear out a flooded engine and sometimes the only way is to wait it out or remove the spark plug and spin the engine a few times.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Peter Pan