finding buried sprinkler valve boxes

One of my sprinkler system valves appears to be busted but I can't locate it since the valve box is buried in several inches of mulch somewhere. I found one of the valvel boxes but this didn't have the valve for the zone that has the problem. I dug around a bit in the obvious place but my lawn is too big and it seems like an impossible task. Anyone know a better technique or specialized equipment that I can rent to find the valve box?

A metal detector should find it. Even if the valves are plastic, the solenoids have metal components, connected with metal wire.
You might be able to rent, borrow, or buy and return one, but since you seem to have mechanical gadgets buried around your home, I suggest you buy one and keep it. Who knows, you might find money, jewels, or Jimmy Hoffa.
Pagan
I assume that by now you have found something that allowed you to find the valve in the lawn. However if not, there is a pretty nifty tool you can use to find electric irrigation valves. You should be able to rent a wire tracer for about $50 per day. The way this works is by hooking one end if the valve wires (not the common wire) to the noise generator. Then with a wand and a set of earphones connected to the wand you follow the wire to the valve. Once you locate the valve the noise gets very steady and very loud.
I have found many a valve and wires like this.
Good luck