Filling Cracks In Old Railroad Ties Used As Garden Bordering ?

Hi,

Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using to define some garden area borders.

Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial cracks (checking the right term ?) in them.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to help hold them together, and as a secondary consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing more cracks or enlarging those already there.

So, what should I use to hopefully help hold them together ?

My first thought was epoxy, but I doubt that it is fluid enough to really get inside deeply.

Would Gorilla Glue bond surfaces with perhaps 1/16 - 1/8 inch gaps ?

Or,... ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

On 4/3/06 9:29 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, "Robert11" spewed forth this gibberish...

Chances are that those ties will outlast you.. If you fill the cracks on the top side, water will still eventually work its way into the cracks, and won't evaporate out as well.. If you feel like you should do something, pour some wood sealer into the cracks..

Reply to
Michael Keefe

Reply to
JillAdams

The preservative used in railroad ties does not work well with any adhesive, bonding agent, filler, or caulking.

Reply to
Jonny

I have seen large checks filled with cement. It can be dyed to a dark color too.

Reply to
Bill