filling a deep hole on my lawn

I used to have a standup clothes hanger in my backyard, that I recently removed. It was attached to a cement base that was embedded in my lawn. I want to take out this base, that looks to be around a foot deep, and 10-11 inches in diameter, but once I do that I will be left with a big hole in the lawn.
What should I fill the whole with to be able to grow grass on top? DO I need to add anything, particularly at the bottom of the hole, before I add soil?
Dirt should do just fine. Grass loves dirt.
Good Luck !!
--James--

http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

Thanks. Sorry for the newbie question, but what exactly is 'tamp'-ing?

Not a bad question at all. Tamping is compacting the soil as you add it too the hole. It will save you settling problems later. You can rent a tamping tool fairly cheap, or devise your own method of packing the soil as you add it..add some tamp some. :)

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

A good thing to tamp with would be a sledgehammer (just hold it upright, and "drop" it in) , or big post or 4 x4 or something like that. Just to pack the dirt in firm, so that it doesn't settle too much and you end up with a large depression after a month.
Place 4-5 inches of dirt, tamp, repeat, etc.
--James--
Is your wife still in the picture?
If not, mine's available.

it is not rocket science, just fill the hole with soil

the
Since the date of her first posting, I would say that she has grass a foot tall there by now.............
-------------------------
it is not rocket science, just fill the hole with soil

No, no. You need to backfill in layers- this is very important!
First apply a layer of 'organic material' about 3" thick, then apply a 1" layer of 'brown earth', then add a 5" layer of 'dirt', and repeat until the hole is about 4" from ground level. The last layer MUST be 'brown earth' 4" deep spread evenly from North to South.
Sow cover grass from East to West with a reciprocal hand motion.
Larry

John Kerry honored by commies -
http://tinyurl.com/3cncy
Steveo wrote:

grass debris, composted for 4 months and ground up. Of course I'm attempting to create a mini marsh.
--
Yard and Garden Handyman