fertilizing mystery

I have a Scotts rotary fertilizer spreader model 1000, which I bought several years ago but haven't used much. This fall I decided to give my lawn a fall fertilization for the first time, so I bought a bag of Scotts' Turf Builder Pro 31-3-8. It said it covered 9600 square feet, and since my lawn is less than 8000 square feet I bought one 28 lb bag.

On the bag it said to set my spreader to 3 1/2, which I did. The problem was that it only covered 1/3 the lawn before it was all gone. I hope that doesn't mean I burnt the lawn, and I also can't think of what I could have done wrong. I was careful to spread it according to directions (about 4-5 feet between each spread, which is certainly the width of the throw).

I guess I won't buy more now, since I won't be able to remember where I left off. So next Spring the outside part of my lawn will be either burnt or really happy?

Reply to
Dave Gower

Dunno. But you *will* be able to remember where you left off :)

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

There are a few different models of Scotts broadcast spreaders. Are you sure you looked at the info for the setting for the correct model? Mine can be adjusted, so it's also possible yours is adjusted wrong.

When I'm applying anything, I keep an eye on how fast it's going down, to make sure it is reasnable. If it was going down 3 times as fast as it should, it should have been obvious and you could have backed off the setting.

I'd go ahead and do the rest of the lawn. Just go lighter at the approximate area of overlap. This is slow release, it's hard to burn the lawn in the Fall. And if it's gonna bet burnt, it would happen now, not next Spring.

Reply to
trader4

wrote in

Yes, after the first post I spotted the lower screw. It obviously needs some adjusting. I sent an email to Scotts, and am trying to find the manual.

But it was the second issue, burning, that I appreciate knowing about. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Where are you located? If your area is still warm, you might end up with a burnt lawn. I would be especially worried if you get a good rain followed by several days of warm weather.

Do you have a bagging mower? You might be able to pull some of the excess fertilizer off of the lawn if you cut the lawn and use the bagger before the fertilizer gets damp.

One tip. I usually set the spreader at 1/2 the recommended application rate, put half the required fertilizer in the hopper, spread it, and repeat the process. It may lead to a more even application and gives you a quicker indication if the application rate is off.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

This will removed 2-5% of the fert.

Do half one way, then half the other.

Reply to
Mike

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

I'm near Ottawa in Eastern Ontario. We had 12mm (1/2") of rain last night and are supposed to get more on and off for several more days. Temperatures are expected to be in the range of 7-18C (42 to 65F) for the next week. August and the first half of September were warmer than normal, so the soil's warm.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I am in kingston, and IMO you will have a hard time burning your lawn. However I was thinking and you either have your settings way off, or your SQFT way off.

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote

Thanks for the comfort, but what's SQFT?

Reply to
Dave Gower

sq. ft. square footage

Reply to