Fertilizer and Rain

I agree. There are less expensive alternatives, but Scott's products are excellent. The only issue I have with Scotts is that they over market their 4 step crap. For example, they tell everyone to put down weed n feed, whether they really need it or not. In many cases, some simple spot treatment of weeds is more effective and better for the environment.

Beside the cool season grass issue, I don't know what kind of fertilizer he expects to put down in Spring and still have it being effective in July/Aug.

Only need to feed it 3 times a year, because this product is so special? Scotts or similar turf fertilizer only needs to be applied 3 times a year to produce excellent results. Maybe his lawn epiphany has less to do with the product and more from going from over fertilizing in summer to a more reasonable application.

Reply to
trader4

from memory I don't think it is recommended to lime and fertilise at the same time. Fertilising should be done several weeks after liming. I can't tell you why, I didn't retain that bit of info. It may have negligible impact doing the 2 together mind. Close enough is good enough much of the time. I guess it is a rule you observe if you want to do it proper.

rob

Reply to
George.com

The limestone based products which are what almost everyone is using can be applied at the same time as fertilizer. It takes a long time for anything to happen with the limestone, typically months, as it's slow to react and change the soil PH.

Reply to
trader4

Correct. Lime moves thru average soil at the rate of about 1 inch per year. That's why it's best to lime & till the soil before you plant your grass. That's also why healthy turf only needs liming every 5 or so years.

Reply to
Red