fence repair

need to consider some alternatives to replacing a shadowbox built-in-place cedar fence

I want to continue to have a cedar fence, so metal replacement it not a consideration

other than tearing the whole thing apart and building a new one, couple questions (will think of more later)

  1. are there any specific tools (other than a hammer) to make removal of old nails easier if I wish to remove old boards where the posts are good and nail new boards on (am asking specifically about making removal of the old boards easier)

  1. if a post is wobbly but wood is good, can a new cemeted post be placed next to it to secure the post

  2. will regular home depot or lowes cedar boards work or do they come in different quality grades

anything else I should consider to make repairs easier?

Reply to
Teala Anderson

is by far the best nail puller money can buy. I have one that is over 50 years old and still works as good as new. The pincher jaws go on each side of the nail head & then a bump or 2 with the telescoping weighted handle sets the pinchers under the head of the nail. Then it's just a matter of pulling on the handle to lift the nail out. For long nails I always have 1" & 2" short boards for spacers under the bar. When you see one at your local hardware you'll understand more how it works.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Double ended nail puller available at most home repair locations for $9-$15 AKA Cat's Claw

Depends on whether the old post was cemented in and whether you can get a new one close enough and stabilized. Me, I'm anal...I'd take the old one out and put a new one in it's place for stability and aestetic purposes.

Depends on what you have currently, but for a repair job, this should work.

Nail gun and friends to help and/or keep beer replenished.

Reply to
Keith Warren