Faux Landscape Rocks

Searching for comments on faux rocks used in landscaping.
I would like to build a waterfall by my pool from a light(er) weight material than fieldstone rocks. I've seen some of these prefab units onloine but never in person.
Comments on their loks ? durability ? other comments ?
Thanks--
--
Piney

One (obvious) consideration is that faux rocks are often less dense than water. Careful placement would be required to prevent movement and to keep them from 'floating away'.
MikeR

water. Careful placement would be required to prevent movement and to keep them from 'floating away'.
MikeR
The best and most realistic I've seen, including watefalls, splash blocks, garden decor, etc. came from Urdl's in Delray Beach, FL. Their website is http://www.urdls.com /. Their stuff is neither cheap nor light-weight, but very realistic -- they use some type of morter mix, poured into forms made from real rock formations, then plumbed for use as waterfalls. If you're not in South/Central Florida, shipping might be expensive, but if you can see their work you'll be impressed.
With any water feature you'll have a problem with algae, and in my experience, the light-weight faux rocks are like lava-rocks, with open surfaces that are very hard to clean. I had two Urdl waterfalls in another house and they held up well for many years.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:37:21 -0600, Piney

Many look like crap. Quite a few are the "lava rock" variety, very porous and poor choices for ponds/waterfalls. Impossible to clean. The best are the ones made from a cement mix, sometimes with Perlite or other filler to lighten them. Often they are made of castings from real rocks and match pretty well. There are some manufactured for waterfalls, with appropriate splash points and even drilled for tubing.
Check your local suppliers, they often have a decent variety available. One problem is non-native rocks, if they look out of place your entire "natural" waterfall will look bad. Of course, most around here have a pile of fake rock with water squirting out the top. You know, the natural tendency of water to seek the highest point... :)
Jeff