Expensive LT Oil Filters

I have a JD L120 mower. JD or Briggs want $10 for an oil filter. An oil filter for my car costs about $3. So, does there exist a cross-reference so a person could use a sensibly priced $3 oil filter (albeit not bearing the JD or Briggs logos but that's OK!) for there LT?

Reply to
Ginger

Try NAPA - maybe even napaonline or TSC.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Napa has the filter for my toro for about 5 bucks. I'd suggest that you take all the numbers you can find on the filter and give them to the napa guy and see what he has. The filter will be cheaper and most likely of better quality.

Reply to
Timothy

I just got the JD filter today and it was less than $ 6 at the Deer dealer. It does requrie a special trip just to get it from where I live.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On 4/8/05 2:36 PM, in article

3bA5e.5626$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:4/8/05 2:36 PM

You should be able to cross reference your filter at a local auto parts dealer. I got a cross reference to a Craftsman filter after getting the parts numbers recently. A year or so ago, my local Cub dealer told me that their part numbers cross reference with with Craftsman filters.

After the Craftsman filters went to $10 a pop, I decided to switch to Mobil1 filters. They filter 95% and cost same.

Oil filters and the oil (highly recommend synthetic) you use will go a long way to give extra insurance that your engine won't break down and give you trouble IMHO.

Reply to
Ron B