Exotic Plant Overflow

A few years ago I started buying hybrid heliconias at the occasional plant show. If you don't know what a heliconia looks like, there are photos of varieties of the plant at

When I moved to a new house I dug up some of these plants and moved them with me, and later I moved them from one part of the garden to another. To make a long story short, I've lost complete track of which plant is which, except that I"m pretty sure that each of them is one of the more exotic (and expensive) cultivars.

I know there are some Heliconia rostrata and H. stricta, (see the link above for photos of these types) and some other exotic "parrot's beak" plants. But they've taken over an area that needs to be replanted. As a result, I've been moving, replanting, and giving away several hundred of these fancy plants.

This weekend I'm digging up another several hundred, and if I don't give them away to someone they'll just go out with the trash pickup. The parents of some of these plants were $35-50 ea, and they've grown and flourished since then.

Bottom line -- if anyone, including a commercial nursery, wants some of these plants I'll give them away, free. They're already dug, and you just need to show up and select the ones you want (all are healthy, none are in flower -- you won't know until the next flowering just what you have.) These plants are from 3' to 6' tall. Location -- central Florida, ZIP

33852 (Lake Placid, FL). I've opened a temporary e-mail account, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net that you can use to get more specific directions on finding us. (Lake Placid is right on US27, 90 mi S of Orlando, 100 mi west of West Palm, 100 mi east of Tampa, 120 mi north of Miami.)

If anyone is interested in taking away some of these nice plants, e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net and I'll respond by e-mail with travel specifics

Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler