English-style mower?

Can anybody point me in the direction of a store (pref in New England) or web site where I could get an English-style lawn mower - I.e. one with a heavy roller on the back instead of wheels? Push or powered is OK

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Maurer

English style ? Geez - as a kid, some 60 years ago, I remember using an uncle's Montogomery Ward rider that had 2 small wheels in front and a large

14 - 18" roller in the rear to drive it. Did the "English" have it before then ?
Reply to
Srgnt Bilko

Rollers are no longer recommended, unless you're maintaining a croquet court or some such. Too much soil compaction.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

How about if I promise to core aerate TWICE a year ? :-)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Maurer

So you're going to torture your lawn by crushing it every time you mow and then you're going to torture it by tearing it up twice a year?

Reply to
GFRfan

And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the roller type mowers designed for clover lawns?

Reply to
GFRfan

Is a "roller" mower what I used to know as a "reel" mower? Reel mowers used to give superb cuts when properly adjusted.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Most of these kinds of mowers I encountered when I lived in England had rollers on the rear and also had the "reel" type cutting blades - 4 blades arranged in a horizontally-oriented pseudo-helical formation and a fixed straight cutting edge against which they would cut as they rotated. When properly adjusted (damn near impossible to keep that way except on an already nearly perfect lawn) they are indeed the ultimate mowing machine (with credit to BMW for the slogan).

I love the look of a lawn cut with these kinds of mowers and they don't have to be so heavy as to torture and compact the underlying soil, especially with proper care and feeding.

J> GFRfan wrote:

Reply to
Jon Maurer

Try

Doug G

Yes, but still no roller (what I was originally looking for) and I do have 15,000 sq ft of lawn, so a motor is preferable.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Maurer

Those are really good for bentgrass.

Reply to
Steveo

Get a roller attachment for your power mower.

Reply to
Doug G