Engine overhaul

I want to overhaul my mower engine. It's a 12.5 HP Briggs. Is an engine overhaul kit available like the ones for car engines? Thanks for any help Stan

Yes.
/no you will need to buy each part you need rings gasket set oil seals use your model &serial# to get the right parts from a briggs dealer

To Stan my name is bill i fix lawn equipment. Yes you can buy a rebuild kit for your 12.5 briggs look on the engine shroud on the engine not on the equipment you might have to rub some dirt or grease off to read the letters and numbers get a piece of paper and write down all the letters and numbers now call your local lawnmower repair shop give the numbers to the person on the phone tell them it is a briggs and stratton 12.5 hp engine. they might have the kit in stock or can order the kit.
write me back snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net
I used to have a mower shop for years and was a dealer for several engine,mower,chainsaw brands and have never heard of a over haul kit. what comes in it? please post a part number for any over haul kit briggs makes I would like to order one just to see what it looks like.

they don't make them. they will sell you a shortblock though. the rebuild kits they keep refering to are made by stens and also by rotary, i've used them. I used to be a lead tech at a couple of mower shops. i always thought they should make them also. Chip
Well I never used after market parts when I used to work on mowers. I have used short blocks though. They are great if you have a good carb. and cheaper in the end over an over haul on the aluminium engine.