EMIL rule of spreading chemicals

My yard has gotten progessively worse, so I figured I would use chemicals for a couple years, especially when they were marked down at a garden shop going out of business.

Since I bought the stuff, and I will read more in the future, I've read a lot here about how sprays are better than solid and how other things are better yet. So I know for next time. But I own the pellet stuff already. So if the answers could concentrate on MY current problem, I'd appreciate it. To whit:

The bags are numbered 1,2,3,4 and somewhere someone said to use the EMIL rule.

Easter Memorial Day Independance Day Labor Day

for 1 to 4.

So today I'm looking at the first bag and it says it's against crabgrass (and includes fertilizer) and it's for February to April and before it is consitently in the 80's. So far so good, in Baltimore.

But I've noticed dandelions already budding and about to open in some non-tended, except mowing, areas of the n'hood.

So I look and the second bag is against dandelions (and includes fertilizer), but it says on the first bag, don't apply anything else until 4 to 6 weeks from the first bag. By a month from now, the dandelions will be all over the yard.

2) Should I do 1 tomorrow and do 2 in 4 weeks? Wont' that give me lots and lots of dandelions. (for the first 10 years here, I ddn't have any, but it's gotten pretty thick)

3) Can I put down half a portion of 1 and half a portion of 2? That would make the amount of fertilizer no more than one portion.

4) Should I interchange 2 and 1? There is a lot of bad grass, and stuff that isn't even grass at all (some sort of weed I guess) and I won't get rid of it in one year, and it grows all year. So how about if I tried to kill the crabgrass around May 2, and did the dandelions now?

1) Should I have started with bag 1 a month ago? It was still cold. Although the instructions don't say that is bad, it was a long time before Easter a month ago.

Is there any truth to the EMIL rule? (Or was it the VEMI rule and I forgot? V for Valentines.)

Thanks a lot.

mm

You can put down your pre-emergent crabgrass control up until the forsythia finishes blooming.

The broadleaf weeds need to be actively growing for your weed control to be effective. Weed be gone liquid without fertilizer may be another option for you soon.

Reply to
Steveo