Edger will not start

Have a McClane edger with a Briggs 3.5 motor that will not start. Changed plug, filter, gas, and oil with no success. Any ideas?

Reply to
Randy

Three things are needed for a gas engine to run:

  1. Correct fuel/air mix
  2. Compression
  3. Spark (at the right time)

Since (I assume) this unit sits during the off-season, I'd start with the carb. If it's 'gummed up' this will throw off the mixture enough to where it will starve or flood. Either way it may not start. I'd pull the carb apart, clean it, and reinstall.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

You didn't say how old it is. Does it have electronic ignition or old style points and condenser. My guess is the latter.

Either way, it could be that you have no spark - To check this, pull the wire off the plug and hold on to it while someone pulls the starter rope through. NO! Just kidding.

To check for spark pull the wire off the plug. Hold it about 1/8 to

1/4 inch from any metal on the engine. Have someone pull the starter rope and you should see a spark jump from the wire to the metal.

If you don't, you have ignition problem.

If you have points and condenser, get new ones (most hardware stores) and replace them. If you don't know how to do this, you will have to get someone to work on it.

If you have electronic ignition, you probably need a new module.

Hope this helps. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to