Eastern Tennessee late freeze, damaged shrubs

Hi,
We had a late freeze in eastern TN (smoky mountains), in the mid/high 20's F that happened a couple weeks ago (about the end of the Dogwood bloom near me). The freeze really bit some of the ornamental trees and shrubs I've planted over the last 2 years. In particular, these have dropped their small budding leaves: Golden Rain trees, Althea, Chaste tree and Blue Beards.
My neighbor told me he heard not to fertilize the damaged plants, and just water if needed. Is this correct?
Also, I have some Loropetalum shrubs that really seemed to have taken a beating by the late freeze. I think they might die, does anyone know if the no fertilizer rule applies here also?
Thanks.