Earliest time of the year to start overseeding patching lawn (UK)?

After dethatching the lawn in the autumn, its looking pretty bare i

places rigth now. So i want to seed these areas as early as possibl to try and get the lawn back up and running. Do we have to wait fo the frosts to go?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated

Cheers

-- Zarch

Reply to
Zarch

You don't have to wait for all danger of frost to pass. You're planting lawn grass, not tomatoes. On the other hand, grass seed won't germinate until soil temps are in the 50s. And getting it down earlier can have some advantages. The frost cycles will slightly expand and contract the soil, creating some cracks, into which the seed can drop. On the downside, if the area is sloped and you seed earlier, then the seed has more time to wash away.

I'd do it when you start to have days with temps in the high 50s low

60s. I'd also use a slice seeder to get good soil/seed contact. Anytime between now and then would be a good time to get the PH checked and adjusted if necessary.

Why didn't you seed it in the fall? Early fall is by far the best time.

Reply to
trader4

It doesn?t really matter when you put the seed down other than th likely hood of birds pinching it. What really matter's is the nigh time soil temps. Once they come up into 60 - 70 F / 15 - 21 C then see will grow. You should also take in to account that seeding close to frost is not a good idea. For best results you should seed in aroun the top cm of your top soil (as the seed will burn energy getting t the surface) and at a time that will optimize the germination such a late September or late march. Good luck

Turf do

-- turf doc

Reply to
turf doc