dry lawn

I live in TN. and we are in arrears 8 inches of rainfall. I have watered once about a week ago and am concerned about weekly mowing. Will this just stress the lawn more?? We have an acre of lawn and clay soil. Watering extensively is too costly. Welcome any thoughts, thanks.

Reply to
larry d

WebTV-Mail-24591-2921

Reply to
Steveo

I live in TN. and we are in arrears 8 inches of rainfall. I have watered once about a week ago and am concerned about weekly mowing. Will this just stress the lawn more?? We have an acre of lawn and clay soil. Watering extensively is too costly. Welcome any thoughts, thanks.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

WebTV-Mail-24591-2921

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

[...]

Please don't post in HTML.

Thanks.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Larry

---------- Been watchin' the weather now for some time. Apparently the 3 year drought conditions of Texas have moved east. Lakes have filled up, they're opening the flood gates and making electricity again.

What I did during the drought period was mow the St. Augustine at the highest level my push mower has for height. Water started getting scarce in many wells, some were dry or near dry. I stopped watering the grass in mid-August. Was watering every week to 2 weeks. I stopped mowing in hopes that it would help keep more moisture content in the soil. Keep the grass alive at the root level anyway. Grass appeared dead around late September. Didn't start cooling off until late October here. Finally got some decent rain in January, little in February, then has been very good since to date for rain. Actually saw some mushrooms growing in a shaded area on some soil covered with cedar (juniper ashe) leaves due to the excessive moisture. St. Augustine, most rebounded and spreading again. Things looked gloomy for grass and doubtful of its survival for awhile.

Just publishing this for folks that may be in for a long haul drought.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I live in TN. and we are in arrears 8 inches of rainfall. I have watered once about a week ago and am concerned about weekly mowing. Will this just stress the lawn more?? We have an acre of lawn and clay soil. Watering extensively is too costly. Welcome any thoughts, thanks.

Reply to
larry d

Thanks for the HTML advice.

Reply to
larry d

Sure it will stress it somewhat. Don't mow it until it needs it, and set your mower on its highest cut setting.

Reply to
Steveo