Don't laugh too hard! the mower got borked first time out...

OK, here is the story. I was mowing the lawn, I hit a stick (pine), it bent the right blade AND the bent blade cut into the mowing deck (about 2.5 inches) I think this was a freak accident, but??

The Sears guy is coming out to look at it Sat. I've already pounded the metal back in place, and straighten the blade enough to mow the rest of the property, it just needs a spot weld now (oh and at least one blade (or some hammering). Three hours on the new mower.. ugh When that blade hit the mowing deck it stopped the engine cold!! (it started fine and I've run it for about 1 hour so I think it's fine) "no strange noises"

"The Pics"

?pic=5z5n9mt
?pic=4taxzyd
I should bring up with the Sears Guy? thanks

Clark

Reply to
Clark

I have virtually the same mower and it's negotiated sticks much larger and of hardwood.

Good luck with Sears.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Sears guy on line one. :)

Steveo

Nothing to laugh at. If I was still a drinking man I'd be drunk by now. I wouldn't fool around with a blade that was straightened out - have to get a new one. Too much chance of imbalance and messing up the berrings.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

It's good to get some feedback that this was probably a freak thing

Thanks Clark

Reply to
Clark

I'll have one for ya. I agree on the blade thing, something tells me I should buy a dozen or so blades, just in case.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

No reason to overdo it. How often do "freak accidents" occur ? If the come in a set just get the set.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I replaced the original all purpose/muching blades with a set of Oregon blades made for bagging. I get a much better cut and can mow a gear faster which reduces time spent and fuel used to mow.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

"Clark" wrote in news:sYRni.97$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

How big a "stick" did you hit? Clearly, I wasn't a twig.

If I were the Sears guy, I would tell you that the mower was designed to cut grass, not sticks, and be out of there.

It's ridiculous that you expect a manufacturer/retailer to compensate you for damages that were caused by your own neglect or misuse of the product. Next time, keep your eyes open when you're mowing!

Sheeeeesh!

Morvin Stayner

It was not that large, maybe if you looked at the pic you would have noticed, The "stick" is 10 inches long by 3/4 if an inch wide, and I have mowed over many of them with my 32" Toro with no problems, And for that matter with a friggen push mower that I bought from Sears for $110.00.

So mowing your lawn and hitting a stick is neglect and misuse huh? I'm guessing your perfect and have never done such a thing, Good for you! (have a cookie)

I'm glad your not the Sears guy.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

"Clark" wrote in news:oA9oi.1127$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.lga:

And I suppose your friggen push mower just chopped them up into tooth picks with little or no extra effort. Come on!

A 10" x 1" inch piece of wood is no small object, no matter what the species, and it takes considerable force to shred it.

While your Toro may have been able to handle it, I seriously doubt that the deck and blade of a Sears mower is anywhere near the same quality.

Caveat emptor!

Morvin Stayner

By the way I didn't ask Sears to come out to fix the mower, that was their offer. I called them to ask if a $1600.00 lawn tractor is going to bend a blade (and slice the mowing deck) every time I hit something like a stick. I understand the bending blades, as I have replaced many, and I have bent more than my share of mowing decks (hey there's a stump in the grass who knew) as far as the quality, husqvarna makes the mower, and Consumer Reports rated the Sears mowers a good deal at their price point.

I guess that's relative My dick is so large that I've always considered 10 inches kinda small or at least average. I don't know who to feel bad for, you or your wife. ;-)

Clark

Reply to
Clark

I had a Sears mower and the blades were so soft I could bend them with my hands. I bent one and put it on my knee and bent it back. So much for Sears.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

Thanks for the heads up, turns out the blades that it came with were thin and goofy looking. I went to Sears and bought a new set, same model number totally different blade!

The new blades are thicker, and have a "crease" on both sides 3/4 of the length of the blade, looks like they were added to make the blade more rigid. so far I like them

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Have you tested them on that stick, yet? =D

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I just had a good laugh at your post, thanks. :-)

You kidding? I tried to avoid thick grass!!! No really, I mowed (almost) the same way I did last weekend, (I'm gun shy now) I'll post some links of the Pics I took of the blades. The pictures won't do justice compared to holding and looking at the blades in person, but I think you can still see the diff.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

"Clark" ...

I have 3 sets from before I started to sharpen my blades myself. I had one on the mowing deck, one sharp and ready to put on and the other one at the shop being sharpened/waiting for me to pick it up (meaning stored at the shop, ). Then when I dulled my blades I would swap in the good set, run the dull ones to the shop, and get the sharp ones to be ready for the next round.

Now I sharpen my own blades, which turns out to be easy with a dremel and a bench clamp. Just grind a new bevel and ensure that it is reasonably balanced.

Bent blades are tossed into the metal recycling, not fixed. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Eggs Zachtly

on 7/21/2007 4:50 PM Clark said the following:

You shouldn't have had to 'buy' new blades, Sears should have replaced them with the newer blades, since this is a defect in materials. I wonder how many others have had the same problem with those flimsy blades?

Reply to
willshak

I use a 4" disk grinder.

Reply to