Dogs & Grass

Before the arrival of The Beast, I had a lot of grass in my yard. I am sure the fact that he has friends over to play isn't helping the situation one bit. Am I kidding myself to think there might be something I can plant that can withstand dogs? As long as it's green, I don't care. Part of the yard is completely bare now and it's becoming compacted. There is also a concern that the lack of any root system will cause drainage issues in the spring. Suggestions?

Accidentally leave the gate open. There is no other sol'n.
Peter H

Astro-turf. (I have 2 beasts with the same problem)