Dog and lawn

Page 1 of 2
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover. Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an eyesore.
Getting rid of the dog is not an option:)
Thanks, Lukas

all
Our dog makes very 'green spots' on our lawn- maybe you should feed your dog some fertilizer? :-)
^^

mmm That could work, she eats anything anyway, grass, weeds, leaves etc. Lots of fun in the fall when she swallows whole large oak leaves, these pass straight through her, an I end up having to pull them from her butt, as pooping does not completely push them out....
Lukas
Lukas Louw wrote:

Feed her carrots once a week.

Jeez....you must be kidding. This, for a damned dog?

Yea it's like having an extra toddler in the household

Let me guess: If not for your wife, you'd handle this correctly, using this dog training tool: http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?ide

Not quite, but if not for my wife I'd have installed an electric fence, but oh no, that's cruel!

It's not cruel. You bait the fence with something the animal likes. This causes the animal to become quickly acquainted with the presence of the fence. If deer are any indication, they learn after one or two visits that the area near the fence is not a good place to be. Dogs....hard to say. Deer are smart. Dogs are stupid.
Suggested this to a friend who had a dog who dug her way under the fence regularly. She got too close to the wire once, the friend turned off the electric, and the dog never went anywhere near the wire again. She was no smarter -- or dumber -- than any other dog.
Suzy, zone 5, Wis.

pass
LOL! Boy, I bet that's quite a sight- You down on all fours behind the dog, trying to 'dislodge' to leaf (partly out) while the dogs wandering around (not cooperating) gettin' 'that crap' all over the house! :-Q
^^

Suzy, Zone 5 Wisconsin

Check the information at this link for some ideas. I like the one about following the animal with water to wash/dillute the urine so it doesn't burn the grass. As the article states. this would likely be quite entertaining for your neighbors. Especially coupled with the leaf extraction manuevers! lol
joe
Here's the article link.
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/cty/polk/hort/lawnanddogs.html

Thanks - the water idea makes sense, and the neighbors think I'm nuts anyway, so walking behind the dog with a watering can will supply extra entertainment to brighten up their dull lives a little more....
Lukas

Believe it or not, you can train the dog where to pee. Pick a spot, cover it with an appropriate material (pinestraw is fine) and when you take the dog outside, walk the dog to that spot to do his/her business. My border collie is trained not to pee on the grass, even when he's left in the yard all day long. It only took a few weeks of reinforcement to teach him where to pee.
Before I taught him potty manners, I tried the pills and food additives that are supposed to make dog pee harmless, but the only result was I had less money in my wallet and just as many pee spots on the lawn.

I've the same problem. It's not totally solved by putting down a lot of lime. In Texas, I had dark green grass where the dog went. That was with bermuda grass. Here in Carolina, we have tall fescue. Either use a lot of lime or follow the dog around with the water hose, ha!
Thunder

Put out a bowl of antifreeze and/or sponges soaked in bacon grease and let nature handle the rest.
Now why would I want to do that to our dog?

I agree. The handgun would be much quicker.

I guess you're not a dog person ")