Does it harm a self propelled mower to be pulled back with the drive disengaged?

I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand, and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click. I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear to be any resistance.
Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?
Brian
On May 1, 3:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@personainternet.com wrote:

This is the first I've heard of this being "hard" on the mower. The ones I've had do have more resistance when pulled backward while disengaged, compared to a regular mower, butI would expect that. Rather than just having 4 wheels that are free turning they have 2 that are connected to the part of the drive mechanism that is still there, whether connected or not. So, it's going to take a little more to get that moving.
If the self-propelled mowers were not designed to be used that way, it would be pretty stupid, because that's how they have to be used in most applications. Almost eveyone has areas, under trees for example, where you need to do this.

While a self power mower might seem like a good idea, I think a much better one is to get a lighter mower.
I had an old lawnboy, all plastic, that lasted years and was MUCH lighter than any other mower I've ever had. Wish I could find another.
Noozer wrote:

new emission standards. It was a good one....
--
Art