Does Grass seed go bad?

Does grass seed go bad? How long are you supposed to keep it? I have some that I have had for 1 or 2 years and I'm cleaning out my building out back and was wondering if I should throw it away.

Donna

Reply to
dyork

Hi Donna...

Somewhat off the topic of your question, but a heads-up if I may...

Suggest you not store unused seed in any of your outbuildings, at least not unless they're really really well sealed, and even then empty of anything valuable...

Long time ago I bought tons of seed, the idea being to over-plant the country type wild grass at the cottage. Needed to do something to cut down on the mud everytime it rained. Intention was to scatter it just before the snow flew, hoping at least some would germinate in the spring.

Naturally I forgot, ended up storing it in the shed. Come spring much to my dismay found that little critters had invaded, ripped open the seed bags to eat the seed, and set up housekeeping. Ripped open stuffed lawn furniture to build nests with, and left a terrible, terrible mess! :(

So - unless you want mice, store it indoors. Or maybe put the bags into harder plastic closed pails, or something :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I stored mine in a garbage can out doors. No mice but I guess it must have cooked cause I spread some last fall and not one seed sprouted.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Grass seed.... That covers alot of territory.

I've kept some unused 50 lb bag of winter rye in the garage in the original container, it was never cold enough here in S. Texas to use this year. Mostly dry and hot here, garage is very dry but usually cool. No critters around.

Just bought some bermuda (sahara variety) and seeded alot of bare areas. Used half the 15 lb. bag. Storing in same location in original container.

Think both will be alright for a few years or so for myself. Yourself? Devil's in details. Which, of course, wasn't provided. Am not surprised.

Reply to
Jonny

or if using it you may consider spreading it at a rate double that recommended.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Thanks for all of your help! Happy seeding!

Donna

Reply to
dyork

Two years shelf life for practical purposes. You can still use it after that but the germination will drop off as it gets older.

Reply to
Steveo

A lot depends on how it's stored. Leaving it in a garage, where it's exposed to heat and humidity, is not a good place. It will last a lot longre stored in a cool, dry place. I put mine in a closed garbage can, with a container of the dessicant moisture absorbing stuff inside and keep it in the basement.

The germination rate will decline slowly over time. I've stored it for several years and gotten good results. If you have enough of it, prior to using it, I would count out 50 seeds, plant them in a container, and then count how many germinate. Then you can adjust how much to put down.

Reply to
trader4