Does anyone know of an easy way to pick up acorns?

We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we had a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up acorns easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Squirrels
Srgnt Billko wrote:

I was going to say that but restrained myself....
How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.

What's restraint ? I don't think squirrels are out of the question. You get a $30 hav-a-hart trap - go to a local place overrun with with squirrels - do them a favor and bring a few home. Feed them a little and they'll stick around. Once they find the nut tree they will never forget - and their appetite is verocious. A lawn sweeper might work also.

Bring in raccoons to control your grub population, skunks work too.

Too practical.

Bad news - there is no easy way. I've got a bunch of mature oaks on my property and get several garbage bags of acorns at just about this time. If the grass is short and dry I use the power blower to round 'em up into piles and pick them up with broom dust pans into bags. Raking is a pain, but actually quite good for the lawn (power raking). The neighborhood kid thing is a good idea if you've got some good strong ones that don't wince at a little effort. Good luck.
A few year ago I was in a hardware store and noticed a weird gadget on a broom handle, it consisted of a steel wire about the thickness of a coathanger. It started of as a bell shaped coil and ended up as a spiral at the bottom, the spiral was jabbed at pecans too pick them up, the spiral coil sprung back and allowed the pecans to enter into the bell part. I never saw or heard of one being used in real life but the store demo made it look easy. (don't have a pecan tree so didn't buy one)

snipped-for-privacy@evertsfamily.com wrote:

Check with your local golf course. Lots of times they know how to do the strangest of lawn care related chores. But, my guess is to use a lawn sweeper. Eric