Do you compost

Page 2 of 2

There have been many articles lately about nasty fish and seafood imported into the US from overseas markets. The worse is Tilapia which are bottom feeders and are raised in cesspools. Tainted toys get the media attention because it affects kids, but we adults are getting some really bad shit also (pun intended) ;>)
Red

Speaking of...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/406067.stm
Gives a new meaning to "I've got some good $h!t."
Red wrote:

People put all those chemicals on their lawn, and then collect it all up and send it to the waste center, which in turn means they will have to put more chemicals on to replace what they removed. Stupid idea. Good for the chemical companies. Bad for your yard and the environment. I have no problem with using chemicals. It is the misuse and overuse that is the problem.

I've A/B'ed store bought compost and dillo dirt. So far Dillo Dirt "seems" a little better. But your point is valid and a lot of people here won't use it. I'm going to continue as long I have success. I like the idea of keeping the yard waste out of the land fills.
Jim
Is it me, or has this thread made the corner and headed towards rational discourse?
Steve ;-)

Sometimes you just have to listen. Funny how people get so opinionated regarding a thing like compost. But, I've heard other people say negative things about DD. I go by how green and lush my yard is. Give and take.
Jim

Great info that I would have never thought of.
Or found on Google. <g>
Steve

I simply pile the leaves up in three piles, and add discarded vegetable, and occasionally add bagged grass clippings in it (in case the grass is too long to be mulched). I just pile them up. I don't use any barrel or cage or anything.
I used to turn the compost piles and water them whenever I was done with mowing the lawn. This means I used to turn them every week or so. Now, I only turn them during fall when I add a lot quantity of leaves into the piles, and once in summer (to check their status). Otherwise, I don't turn them or water them at all. And the result is just as good. Yes, this takes 8 to 9 months to compose them. This is OK because I am not in a hurry. Basically, I just let the nature to take its course.
I mainly use the compost in the vegetable garden because the soil in there is very sandy. I need the compost to improve the soil texture. The soil in there is definitely getting quite well after I have added compost in there year after year for the past 7 years.
One possible problem that I can think of is that I can compose the leaves in less than one year because I use a garden vacuum to gather the leaves, and the garden vacuum grounds the leaves to small pieces, and that helps the composing to go fast. If the leaves were not grounded, the composing likely would take longer.
I could have used the free compost from the local government. But that would make my car dirty. If I had a pickup truck, I might have used the free compost from the local government.
By the way, I live in northern New Jersey.
Jay Chan

Here in Southern Utah, I basically live on top of a lava and caliche cap with red sandstone dunes on top of that. The garden was made by the builder, and irrigation put in. Thank goodness. But it looks like it was never mulched. I know I need to supplement it, and thusly, asking this question.
Steve

It sounds like a post card, Steve.

Towns around here collect yard waste separately for composting, and give it away also. My concern is I don't know what *other* people dump on their lawns & gardens before bagging the refuse for the city to collect.
No way would I use it on food plants. Ornamentals....maybe. There's too many people that simply do not read directions on their lawn chemicals and overapply thinking that more is better.
'SteveB[_2_ Wrote:

I put everything from my garden into the compost bin, its great for m veggies.
Cheer
-- Alan Hamlyn