Do you compost

Ya know i could see that happening!

But how did it get into the compost (enough to cause damage) if they are just putting in clipping and such? And where do you live?

Reply to
jthread

It sounds like a post card, Steve.

Reply to
Steveo

Haha! jthread lives in a van down by the river. Best filter the turd out of your newsreader.

Reply to
Steveo

seems i have a stalker. tee hee

is that like an >> >> >> >>

Reply to
jthread

There have been many articles lately about nasty fish and seafood imported into the US from overseas markets. The worse is Tilapia which are bottom feeders and are raised in cesspools. Tainted toys get the media attention because it affects kids, but we adults are getting some really bad shit also (pun intended) ;>)

Red

Reply to
Red

Speaking of...

a new meaning to "I've got some good $h!t."

Reply to
jthread

Wow, scary stuff.

Reply to
jthread

You don't know the name of the chemical do you?

Jim

Reply to
jthread

The chemical found in Seattle and Spokane was Clopyralid from lawn weed killer. At that time it was a favorite chemical for lawn care companies and was even in some weed and feeds. Picloram has also been found in compost that used straw where the field had been sprayed with Tordon but that only showed up in towns next to large farms. The contaminated compost could be used on lawns but if it was put in a garden it would be three years before a tomato plant would live in the soil. (If you wanted to grow tomatoes on ground that has chemicals in it.)

Bill

Reply to
hollenback

Thanks,

I did a Google on it and found an article about finding Clopyralid in compost in the Seattle area, but not specifically in Seattle's Public Services compost. I emailed both the Austin TX and Seattle's Utility departments and asked basically: How are we protected from this type of contamination? I'll post the answers in a new header.

Jim

Reply to
jthread

I put everything from my garden into the compost bin, its great for m veggies.

Cheer

-- Alan Hamlyn

Reply to
Alan Hamlyn

Towns around here collect yard waste separately for composting, and give it away also. My concern is I don't know what *other* people dump on their lawns & gardens before bagging the refuse for the city to collect.

No way would I use it on food plants. Ornamentals....maybe. There's too many people that simply do not read directions on their lawn chemicals and overapply thinking that more is better.

Reply to
KJonsen