Do I plant grass seed now or wait until Spring?

I live in northwestern Illinois. We've had a few frosts so far.
I had some construction done in the backyard, which tore up about 1,000 sq ft of lawn. I just got it all tilled and smoothed.
Do I plant grass now, or wait until spring?
If now, do I just spread the seed? Will it germinate yet this Fall, or will it lie dormant until Spring?
In other words, if I do plant it now, do I water it also?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

sprouting. The same thing applies in Spring if the seeds are planted too early. Your pick.

It's too late to establish a lawn from seed in your area now. Grass seed needs consistent temps above 50 to germinate. The best alternatives now are sod if you want a lawn now, or waiting to spring if erosion will not be a problem.