Do I plant grass seed now or wait until Spring?

I live in northwestern Illinois. We've had a few frosts so far.

I had some construction done in the backyard, which tore up about

1,000 sq ft of lawn. I just got it all tilled and smoothed.

Do I plant grass now, or wait until spring?

If now, do I just spread the seed? Will it germinate yet this Fall, or will it lie dormant until Spring?

In other words, if I do plant it now, do I water it also?

Reply to
Mitch

The risk of cold weather is that the seeds will rot instead of sprouting. The same thing applies in Spring if the seeds are planted too early. Your pick.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

It's too late to establish a lawn from seed in your area now. Grass seed needs consistent temps above 50 to germinate. The best alternatives now are sod if you want a lawn now, or waiting to spring if erosion will not be a problem.

Reply to
Chet Hayes