Do I need to returf - dog urine

I am new here today and am a keen amateur gardener (still learning).

have just spent alot of money re-landscaping my garden. The back law is still growing great and is very lush. However, the front has bee subject to dog urine (I have about 6 patches and could cry!). I a getting the front walled in, but I need to know if I would need to jus replace the damaged patches, or is there anything I can do to promot growth again? Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated.

Also, I notice in my back lawn I have some very small mushrooms comin through. Is this something I should worry about or do I just mow the up when I cut the grass.

I look forward to your replies

-- Fat_Tulip

Reply to
Fat_Tulip

In most cases, small areas like that will fill in by themselves. It also depends on the type of grass. If you have some bluegrass in the lawn, it will spread via rhizomes, which is one reason it's in many grass seed mixes. Clump type grass will also grow larger to fill in gaps.

Nothing to worry about. They usually occur when there is lots of moisture and some organic material, like old wood, decaying near the surface. Just make sure you're not overwatering the lawn. Established lawns should get about 1" of water a week, which may be one application or split into two, about 4 days apart, depending on the soil.

Reply to
trader4

if its a rye type grass for example, this will self seed. You just need to cut it high enough to all seed development. It is late winter here but I notice the rye grass already starting to seed where I have cut it high. I have 2 mutts who piss on the lawn, the grass takes care of itself.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Only if it's annual in variety and I consider it a weed.

Reply to
Steveo

Where in the world do you guys live where a dog pissing on the lawn is destroying vegitation? Do you feed your dogs something really strange? Are you collecting their urine in 5 gallon containers, distilling it down to a super concentrated mixture, then pouring it on the lawn in a single spot? I've cared for dogs all my adult life and have never seen urine do anything to the lawn. Dog piles yes, but only if I let it sit there for a couple of days in the sun.

Reply to
Eigenvector

The fastest way I found is just buy one roll of sod, remove the burnt grass and take pieces from the sod roll and patch it....instant grass... no wait and it works...

Reply to
Mac

It's also a helluva lot more expensive than just over-watering the spots to leech out the extra nitrogen.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly