Diseased Pussywillows

No real damage here from the strong gusty winds the other night but we did lose a few trees. Mostly just down across our woods roads but our only 2 Pussywillow "trees" in the back yard went down too. They were about 3" and 5" in diameter. They broke off at ground level. When I cut them up today I saw they were both rotten down there. Some kind of disease or something. Is there a Pussywillow blight ?

Spiny elm caterpillars (Nymphalis antiopa) feeding on pussy willow. Pruning bushes also helps prevent disease, fungus and insect problems.