Digging over a plot in order to plant a lawn

I've been digging over our back garden in order to put it all down to lawn.

I'm nearly finished and will seed it soon - are there any soil preperation tips you guys can pass on? And need for specific fertilisers before/after seeding which will help me get a nice green lawn?

I understand that the best time to plant grass seed is Autumn - will I be OK with seeding it late spring - shoudl I water the ground often to promote growth?

And advice greatfully recieved.

Reply to
Stoneskin

When the best time to seed is depends on if you are planting a warm season grass or a cool season grass. Warm season grasses do best when planted in the spring and cool season grasses do best when planted in the fall.

Soil preparation is the same for both types. First you'll want to have a soil test done to see what amendments are necessary for your lawn. Next you'll want to use a round-up like product (non-selective broad spectrum herbicide) on the area to kill all weeds and grass. It's best to wait a couple of weeks after application, then apply the herbicide again to pick up what was missed the first time around. If your soil is clay, you'll want to till in some organic material (peet, manure, compost, mulch, or leaves). If you won't be seeding until the fall, it would be good to till in some organic material now and then again in the fall before seeding. Fertilizer and Lime (if required by the soil test) can be tilled in before seeding. After tilling, you'll need to roll the soil smooth with a water-filled landscape roller. Seed or Sod can then be applied by whatever method you have chosen. You shouldn't need to fertilize again until the lawn has been well established.

Reply to
RoyDMercer