Digging in the dirt...

Apologies to Mr. Gabriel.

I'm installing a 4X4X16 pole for a clothesline. I'm down to about 3 feet and I hit solid rock. Not 'a' rock - just rock. I'll be using 10" sonotube (I have 4' of it) and concrete.

Any rules of thumb for how deep I *should* be for good lateral stability? I can obviously cut the pole shorter, but I'd like to have 10'->12' above ground to be somewhat level with the mounting point on the house.

I don't know the rules about this, but I've got 4x4s in my garden, down 2 feet *without* cement. 10 feet apart, clothesline running between the tops for beans to run along. The cord's not pulled as tight as you would with clothesline, but it seems to me that 4 feet with cement ought to be fine.

Reply to
Doug Kanter
3 to 4 feet of concrete should provide plenty of lateral support for a clothesline. However, having 12' of 4X4 above ground without the top anchored (as it would be in, say, a deck support) should produce some interesting curves in the post over time :-).

KW

Reply to
Keith Warren

You need to consider how deep the frost line is and whether the land gets soggy in the Spring rainy season.

Concrete simply poured around the 4x4 doesn't provide much support. But if you spread it out so it has a large horizontal flange around the pole, that will provide more bearing surface. Of course, the concrete has to extend down around the pole in a thick enough layer so the pole doesn't twist out of it.

Reply to
Stubby

Depends on how deep your frost line goes in the winter. 3 feet should be deep enough for a cloths line unless you're up in French speaking Canada, and that in of itself makes for a short cloths line season. :)

Reply to
Steveo

Just how tall are you if your clothes line is going to be 10' to 12' high.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly

They have scaffolding around it.

Reply to
Steveo

I'm 6'2", but the post is for the far end of the line. The house end is going to be attached about 5' above the back deck, which is 6' above grade.

Kinda like:

... but a bit lower.