Decks...

I was looking to have a deck installed in my back yard with hot tub in the side of it.... I was wondering the benefits of having a wooden deck vs. a plastic deck....... any opinions or suggestions welcome....

Reply to
King

Pressure treated wood= Cheaper

Plastic= Longer lasting, less maint.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Stuff like Trex or Choice Deck is great. No maintenance, no SPLINTERS. I can walk on it bare footed. Put up a 13 x 42 foot deck 12 feet above ground 5 years ago. Still in great condition with no maintenance. Won't stain or absorb water. Warren

Reply to
Warren Weber

Right so far, but expand your horizons. Deck from mahogany or ipe will last

30 or 40 years with no maintenance. Put a coat of Penofin oil every couple of years and figure it will last over 50 years. It looks richer and is better constructed. This past summer I bought some mahogany decking to build a bench and paid $1.80 a lineal foot while ipe was $2.10.

Plastic may last, but it is more flexible, requires closer spaced supports. I've not seen a deck complete with it, but looking at the material in the store, I was not impressed. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wood is less expensive, stronger (needs less supports). Higher maintenance, more splintering.

Plastic is more expensive, needs more support and comes in limited colors. No maintenance or splinters though.

A wood substitute such as Trex or Certainteed's products might be another choice. Better woods are also available than conventional PT decking, like Redwood, Teak, Ipe and so on.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran