dead shrub question

Got a really full skirted cedar tree approx 7' high. This thing has died suddenly on us.

Is there any reason for me not to cut the trunk off below surface level, and then just smooth over the hole? Will we have any regrowth problems, or will the thing just stay cut off?

Reply to
rb

I doubt it will sucker. It'll most likely provide some interesting mushrooms over the next couple years, as the roots decay. And, may leave a depression where the rootball is/was. If it's dead, digging the rootball from such a small tree should be easy enough, and would be the best way to go, IMO.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

LOL I thought you were calling the guy a sucker. I was thinking he didn't say anything to warrant that. Then I read the rest. Too much time in alt.guitar. ;)

Reply to
ythread

THAT'S where I'd seen your nym! Man, that was driving me nuts! =) Lately, I've only been skimming that group, and catching it up. But, nah, I haven't called anyone a "sucker" since, oh, 1975. =D

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I thought I recognized your name too. I'm jthread and ythread. Laptop/PC

I got a good chuckle out of that

Jim

Reply to
jthread