cylinder v rotary

It occours to me that we would all like the finish of a cylinder mower but most wont Pay the price tag. If cylinder mowers were the same price as rotarys, would you buy one or is price the only issue??

Reply to
The instructor

Yes a reel mower is the same thing. Usually for the quality of cut and finish they give. They are used mostly by private estates and sports clubs to cut Fine turf or sports turf but they are used by gardeners who want to produce a high quality lawn.

The cutting action is much cleaner than a rotary which tends to hack grass off whereas the reel mower cuts more like scissors using two cutting blades passing by each other. Obviously a rotary with a good blade will give an 'acceptable' finish but for lower heights of cut and that bowling green finish it has to be a reel mower.

The reel mower also sports a rear roller which leaves the lines but this is achievable with a rotary as well but always looks better in short mown grass, usually below 1 inch.

The main benefit is the health of the grass which recovers better from cylinder cuts than rotary cuts and is less prone to disease infection due to easier recovery from more surgical like cuts.

Reply to
The instructor