Cutting roses

What month should roses be cut Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com

Depends on what zone you are in.
Srgnt Billko said:

It also depends on the cultivar.
--

Eggs

-A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.
Srgnt
I am in Northern California, San Jose.
Marth
> Srgnt Billkowrote "Martha" < snipped-for-privacy@spicyhome-dot-com.no-spam.invalid wrote in message

Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com
So what ZONE is that ? I'm not interested in looking it up myself. Gardening schedules are recommended by "zone", not by city.

It looks like I am between zone 9A and 9B
message

Looks like my zone is still the same as before, I am in 9A/9B
Does anyone know what month I should cut my roses
> Eggs Zachtlywrote pulic emeny said

2006
http://arborday.org/media/map_change.cf
My zone changed drastically, but I'm still not buying into it. I'l
continue, at least for the next 3-4 years, to treat the plants I gro a being 5b. The new map, however, shows us as zone 6. The changes wer quit drastic, especially for the midwest, with some areas increasing b tw zones, while some mountain areas went down two zones.
Global warming, anyone
--

Egg

Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste lik
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:49:13 -0500, Martha

what kind of roses do you have?
Martha said:

As important as the zone you're in, what kind of rose? What cultivar? Some produce buds on new growth, some on old wood, and some on both. They aren't all treated the same.
--

Eggs

If James Bond was an Amish spy, he would drink buttermilk. Shaken not
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month

[snip]
Martha, it doesn't look like anyone wants to answer your question. I don't think roses are that sensitive. For tea roses, bush roses and climbers, I'd
(1) Cut flowers when freshly blooming if I wanted to put them into a vase; (2) Deadhead old blooms whenever I had time in the garden (3) In severe climates, trim them back when they went dormant in the fall, then cover them with straw or mulch to protect them from severe low temperatures (4) In other locations, deadhead them as they went tormant, then prune them back to get new growth once things have started to warm in the springtime.
There's a bunch of more specific information at http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/roses/prune.html . Although it pertains to Illinois, you'll see help for specific types of roses and should be able to extrapolate to California. Regards --
http://landscaping.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=landscaping&zu=http%3A%2F%2Foutreach.missouri.edu%2Fwebster%2Fwebster%2Fweather%2FHardinessZones-compressed.JPG

pulic emeny said:

http://landscaping.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=landscaping&zu=http%3A%2F%2Foutreach.missouri.edu%2Fwebster%2Fwebster%2Fweather%2FHardinessZones-compressed.JPG
That's an old map. The zones have changed.
--

Eggs

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...oh, wait a
how bout http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html
pulic emeny said:

Still old, sorry.
2006: http://arborday.org/media/map_change.cfm
My zone changed drastically, but I'm still not buying into it. I'll continue, at least for the next 3-4 years, to treat the plants I grow as being 5b. The new map, however, shows us as zone 6. The changes were quite drastic, especially for the midwest, with some areas increasing by two zones, while some mountain areas went down two zones.
Global warming, anyone?
--

Eggs

Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?