cutting 6 acres

OK here it goes...
I have 6 acres to cut. Right now I have a 30" cutting deck mower so I only do 2 acres...looking for an old tractor/brushhog combo for about $3500
any suggestions? I live near Dallas TX
on 6/17/2007 2:48 PM snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net said the following:

Google - used lawn equipment or - used farm equipment
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If its adequately fenced in, get some goats. Dave

actually that's been suggested....gotta watch out for coyotes though....
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:21:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Check for golf course mowers and start planning on building a putting green or two.

Depends on what effort you want to put in and results you are trying to get. For the manicured lawn look (frequently mowed and kept relatively clean) I would find a used commercial grade Z-turn mower. If you just want to whack it down once a month or so, then a good used tractor and a brushcutter will do (buy the largest and most heavy duty rig that you can afford).
Voice of personal experience. I have 4 acres and I started out with a nice Kubota B1800 tractor and a 48" finish mower. My property is bordered on 3 sides by roads with the house sitting near the innermost corner (read pretty much ALL front yard) so I want the lawn look. Because of the gearing of the tractor and the 3pt mower adding to the overall turning radius along with numerous trees and other obstacles, 2nd gear was as fast as I could go with reasonably good results and cutting time averaged 9-10.5 hours. I picked up a 1 year old Husky ZTH5221 (21 horsepower 52" cut) for $3K and now it takes me less than an hour and a half to finish not to mention a cleaner cut and a lot less trimming to boot!
KW
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:13:33 -0400, "KW" <keith_warrennospamatallteldotnet> wrote:>

ah, excellent advice...thanks much!

get.
whack
will