Curious about the Ridgid MS1290 sliding compound miter saw

A guy around my neighborhood is selling a Ridgid MS1290 12" sliding compound miter saw and the Ridgid AC9940 table. This is not the MS1290LZ saw with the laser alignment system - in fact this saw looks like it won't take any sort of laser alignment system on the arbor. He originally wanted $650 firm for both.

The saw was manufactured at the end of July 2003, but not purchased until before Christmas 2004. His dad bought it for him as a present - hoping he would do lots of work around his house. Dad bought himself the exact same set-up, and kept the receipt then I guess lost it.

He wants to sell the saw and stand, because he isn't using it, but I have a few questions to ask about it.

First off, I know that the Ridgid saw is made in Taiwan, and that the DeWalts are made in America. How does it compare to the DeWalt DW708 saw with the same features? Both saws have a 3 year manufacturers warranty, and there is a DeWalt factory repair shop in my town - the nearest Ridgid shop is three hours away. Does anyone know about the quality of Ridgid factory repair work on these saws?

From reading up on these saws, I had sort of hoped to find a 10" sliding compound miter saw because the 10" blades are cheaper and they seem to have more different types available than the 12" blades (for instance - the hitachi-made blades for cutting Hardiplank products are made only in 7.25 and 10" sizes) and I will have a lot of siding to cut over the next couple of months.

I understand that the warranty applies from the date of purchase, if you have the receipt. I know that warranties can sometimes be applied from the date of manufacture with no receipt, and since this Ridgid saw was made in July 2003, it still would have a warranty on it until July of

2006. But I wonder if there would be a hassle trying to get it repaired under warranty?

Ridgid stopped making the non-laser saw about a year ago, and has concentrated on the laser saws since then. I haven't been able to find any non-laser MS1290 saws on E-Bay or anywhere else. But I have been able to find a MS1290LZ saw for $355 (no warranty) on E-Bay, and a factory reconditioned MS1290LZ saw for $435 with a one-year warranty from another re-seller (no bidding - set price).

This guy claimed his dad spent about $800 plus tax on the saw when he bought it. Today the same saw goes for $768. He first offered the saw for $650 firm for both saw and stand, but said he would take $600 and deliver it to me. Then he called me at 10 PM last night and said he would take $550. I worry about spending that much money for a saw with what might amount to no warranty I can take advantage of, when I can go out and buy the DeWalt saw for $550 with the $50 rebate from DeWalt, and I can get a cheaper saw table than the $150 Ridgid model. That and the fact that the DeWalt repair shop is right in my town and the fact that it is made in America also weighs on my mind.

I would rather buy American and have a warranty than buy something made in Taiwan and risk having it die on me while I am in the middle of a construction project. Then again, I was planning to offer him $500 and use the rest of the money to buy other quality American-made saw blades and tools for the job, so you can see where I am conflicted.

Any actual experience with the Ridgid saws on the job, durability and warranty work? I really don't need any rants on it not making a difference where the saw was made - I just want to hear from some people on some actual experiences they have had with this saw.

Reply to
USENET READER

I wouldn't be so sure....

How does it compare to the DeWalt DW708

All repair work sucks. These are considered to be throw-away units.

Call the manufacturer and ask them. We can't read the warranty from here.

All saws are shit and they all break. None are made well like they might have been 20 years ago.

I really don't need any rants on it not making a

Reply to
Oscar_Lives