Creating a Clay Barrier

Folks:

I am the proud owner of a home, as of this past fall. I'm a new homeowner and this is a learning experience.

When I had the inspection done, the inspector suggested that I put a clay barrier around the north and west side of the house to prevent water seeping into the structure. I need to dig a trench of 6 inches down by 6 inches wide along the perimeter of the home.

Aside from the obvious answer, is there any tool or machine that would make this job easier. Sure, I can get on my knees and use a hand shovel, but that's a fairly work intensive project. If there is something easier, I woudl be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks for any information that you can suggest.

Cheers!

Xcalibur

Reply to
Xcalibur

I'm not sure what you mean about "on your knees" - my first thought is that's just about the size of a standard long hadle round-point shovel I dug a trench several hundred feet with one. But I'm not sure what a "clay barrier" does to prevent water from coming in - and I don't understand what something as small as 6 by 6 could do. We stopped surface water with what we call a "French ditch" or "French drain" - a trench 2' wide and 2' deep and then filled with rocks. Our rental centers have what we call a "ditch witch" - a motorized machine that will dig a ditch - usually used for laying underground wire, cable or pipe. I now have an old farm tractor that pulls a garden plow that will turn a furrow about 6 by 6. I'm curious to hear more about your problem and solutions from others.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko