Craftsman Riding Mower(s)

Any opinions and or advice will be appreciated.

I need a riding mower and have been told Sears will service your mower at your home. This is important for me as I have no means of hauling a mower to a repair shop if needed, which I am unable to do if I had a trailer.

One which will bag or catch the cuttings in the process of mowing.

Personal experiences and preferences anyone?

Thanks to all for responses.

\/ \/

Reply to
virtual_voyager

Most repair shops will do this. Usually they charge $25 to pick up or drop off.

I bought the bagger attachment and used it for a few years. Emptying the collectors was an enormous chore and the "experts" had decided again that leaving the clippings on the lawn was "good". In fact it's been just fine for at least 15 years.

Get a guarantee that repair parts will be available for X years. Sears told me 18 years ago that parts would be available for my tractor/mower for ever. Not so. I tried to buy the backets that hold the two blades at 90 degrees this year. "Not available" was the answer. I don't know what Toro or John Deere offers.

Reply to
Stubby

I have had my cheapy craftsman 15.5HP rider for 8 years now and it still runs perfectly. I use the bagger for picking up the final few leaves after carrying off most of them on a tarp. Only problem I had was a flat tire once. I change the oil every couple of years, nothing else.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

That's a nice story. Is there a point to it?

Reply to
Artemis

The OP asked for personal experience with Craftsman riders, which is pretty much what Dean gave, no?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I know LAST year, their top of the line mowers were made by Husqvarna - darn good mowers.

Ours has the Kawasaki motor in it though. I think it was the last year for it. Hubby says to look at the Kohler powered before the Briggs and Stratton.

We have a two year old Husky, 48" cut 22 HP - I absolutely love the hydromatic transmission. You couldn't convince me to change unless I thought I could get one of those little 4WD Kubotas or a bigger Zero turn mower.

Oh, and our Husky dealer comes and gets ours when it needs to be serviced, Yours might too. As long as you don't buy it at Lowes or someplace like that, get it at a Husqvarna dealer.

We live in Tennessee and mow about 5 acres with ours. The rest gets hit with the tractor and the bush-hog.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Oh. I missed that.