Crabgrass

I understand that Crabgrass Preventives are supposed to be applied in early Spring and that they work by sealing the soil surface so that the seeds don't germinate.

I live in the SW corner of Missouri. My lawn is a mix of fescue/bluegrass/rye. I applied Scotts with Halts in the spring. No crabgrass had come up until the last 2 or 3 weeks - Now there is quite a lot of it. Now I'm applying Weed B Gone crabgrass killer to it, but that weems to really weaken and even thin the other grass.

Can pre-emergent like Scott w/Halts be applied later in the season? If I applied it in early June would it prevent emergence in June and July?

Thanks, Dave in the Ozarks

Reply to
Dave in The Ozarks

Yes, but root pruning (stunted turf) usually occurs.

Reply to
Moparholic

I've gotten into the habit of applying two applications of pre-emergent. One in early spring and another in early June. Seems to work OK, but not great. I don't think you'd hurt anything by applying now. I would think some seed is still ungerminated and would be effected by this app, but I'm certainly no expert.

Reply to
John N.